We can use a very simple mini routine, of Puppy & Cat poses, (explored in a recent post) to increase your body awareness, especially of your center line and balancing your body along it.
In yoga, we move our bodies along precise ‘planes’ or
directions. Most people slip out of their Plane of Movement when they are going past their
limit with the stretch or when they are releasing a pose. This is when
most yoga injuries occur.
Also, if your
balance is poor, it’s very likely that you’re not maintaining your posture and
movement along these planes. For example, if you slouch, your holding yourself
too much into the “Front-Red” zone in the above picture.
Moving more precisely in your planes of movement will be safer and give you more body awareness.
Today, while you practice the Puppy-Cat combination:
- First practice a few rounds of the basics movements to get used to
- Next, practice when to breathe in and when to breathe out while you do several rounds of the sequence.
- Then practice several rounds, paying attention to your Planes of Movement
- Keep your weight even on your hands and knees.
- Imagine that center line along the floor that runs exactly in line with the center of your body; the line that divides the space in the floor beneath you exactly in half, left and right.
- Sink the middle of your chest down toward that center line.
- As you draw your hips up and back, keep your chest moving along that center line.
- Keep imagining the center line along the floor.
- As you sweep your body forward, move your chest along the center line.
- As you push your body up, keep your weight even on your hands and knees, pushing into the floor with your hands as you arch your back toward the ceiling.
This can take a bit of practice, but
it’s very worthwhile. As you become used
to moving in this way, it will help your sequence flow.
My yoga books and charts are available by
clicking these links to
and on Kindle,
You’ll find my MP3’s on CDBaby.com,
with a search for “Corinne Friesen”.
Click here for some of my material on Kobo.
Here’s my shop on Etsy.
You might also like my personalized yoga items on Zazzle